Will you be hitting the road this winter? Now is the time to brush up on the best driving techniques for making it through the cold and snow.
Our Best Winter Driving Tips
- Never drive in the winter when you are feeling tired and fatigued, especially if there is precipitation coming down.
- Don’t warm up your car in an enclosed space, like a garage, and check the tailpipe to make sure it is clear from snow.
- Always keep your gas tank at least 50% full to prevent your fuel lines from freezing.
- If you’re headed on a long-distance trip, check weather reports on your drive. If there will be severe weather on the way, try to plan your route to avoid it, or plan on stopping at a hotel for the night on the way.
- Have your car inspected before you head on a road trip to make sure that everything is in good working order. Mobile Auto Service can visit you at home or at work to give your car a preventative maintenance check-up and make sure you’ll be safe on the road.
- If you do get stranded in the snow, you should stay inside your car. It will give you some shelter and make it easier for anyone stopping to help or Mobile Auto Service to find your car. You should also make sure that you keep an emergency kit in the trunk or back seat of your car in case this happens. It should contain blankets, gloves, hats, scarves, non-perishable food, water and any medication that you need.
Our Best Snow Driving Tips
- Always accelerate and decelerate slowly. Never try to speed or rapidly move in the snow, because it takes much longer to slow down on icy and snow-filled roads.
- Know how your car’s brakes work. If you have antilock brakes, you should be braking differently than if you do not. Keep the heel of your foot on the floor when braking and apply steady, firm pressure. If your antilock brakes kick on, continue driving and do not pump the pedal.
If you are heading up a hill, don’t try to power up it or your wheels will spin. Use inertia to carry your car to the top. Once you get to the top of a hill, slow your speed and go down the other side as slowly as you can.
Call Us if You’re Stranded this Winter
Mobile Auto Service is there for you anytime you need us. Whether you’re in the middle of a roadside emergency, dealing with a car that won’t start or looking for regular preventative maintenance, you should always have our number handy. Use Mobile Auto Service to fulfill any variety of your auto repair and maintenance needs. To schedule your affordable and honest service today, contact us for a free quote at 443-424-0131.