You’re preparing to purchase a new-to-you car, but what should you look for? What should you avoid? At Mobile Auto Service, we work on many used cars every year and have seen customers get great deals or less-than-awesome vehicles. As a result, we have plenty of tips for you on what to look for in a used car.
What to Look for in a Used Car
- Car History: Get the VIN of the car and run a search of it through a service like CARFAX. These services can tell you if a car has been in an accident, if there were any recalls on the model or other important information.
- Paint Damage or Rust: Walk around the vehicle and look for chipping in the paint or rust spots. If the car is older and there are tiny rust spots in one area, that can be repaired relatively easily. However, if there are places where the metal has been completely consumed with rust, you might not want to invest in that vehicle.
- Frame Problems: When considering what to look for in a used car, you should also pay close attention to potential frame problems. Does the car seem level on the ground? Are there things that appear to be hanging from underneath the vehicle when you look underneath? Take a close look at the hood, trunk and bumpers to see if there is any warping that could indicate a collision and subsequent frame issues.
- Check Under the Hood: The engine of the car matters, so take a look! In general, you should check for signs of corrosion, cracked belts or hoses and fluid leaks.
- Mileage: Divide the number of miles on the odometer by the number of years that the car was owned to see whether or not the car has more mileage than you would expect or less than you would expect.
- Upholstery: The interior fabric and seats in any car can take a major beating over time. Look for cracking in leather, tears and stains. Repairing or replacing upholstery can cost you!
Learn What to Look for in a Used Car with Mobile Auto Service
Mobile Auto Service is there for you anytime you need us. Whether you’re in the middle of a roadside emergency or looking for seasonal maintenance, you should always have our number handy. Use Mobile Auto Service to fulfill any variety of your auto repair and maintenance needs. To schedule your affordable and honest service today, contact us for a free quote at 443-424-0131.